Don’t despair because we’ve got you covered. We’ve put together a list of fun and exciting activities to do with your young’uns.
Try some of these fun outdoor activities:
We all share exciting memories of going to the zoo and seeing (and sometimes smelling) your first elephant or hippo.
Make memories of your own by taking your kids to your local zoo, aquarium or animal farm. This is a fun and educational trip that your kids will never forget.
Here are links to the most popular zoos, aquariums and animal farms across the country:
- Johannesburg Zoo (Johannesburg, Gauteng): +27 11 646 2000
- National Zoological Gardens of South Africa (Pretoria, Gauteng): +27 12 339 2700
- Two Oceans Aquarium (Cape Town, Western Cape) : +27 21 418 3823
- Giraffe House Wildlife Awareness Centre (Stellenbosch, Western Cape): +27 21 884 4506
- Rhino and Lion Nature Reserve (Muldersdrift, Gauteng) : +27 11 957 0349
- Hartbeespoort Dam – Snake and Animal Park (Hartbeespoort Dam, North West Province) : +27 12 253 1162
- Seaview Lion Park (Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape) : +27 41 378 1702
- Dragon Rock Reptile Centre (Winterton, KwaZulu-Natal) : +27 82 955 1404
- Crocodile Creek (Ballito, KwaZulu-Natal): +27 32 940 4444
If you’re looking for a fun outing for young and old alike, then the Cradle of Humankind in Maropeng is the perfect day activity.
The Cradle of Humankind, about 50km out of Johannesburg, promises to be as fun as it is educational.
The learning centre teaches about the history of humankind: the underwater boat ride guides through the history of planet earth’s creation and the fossil display through the Sterkfontein caves offers hours of educational enjoyment.
The Cradle of Humankind (Maropeng, Gauteng): +27 (0)11 085 2481
Be one with the monkeys while swinging or ziplining through the treetops. This adrenaline-filled activity will keep your kids entertained for hours at a time.
You can find a range of swinging or zipline facilities across the country. Here are some of the most popular swinging spots near you:
- Cape Canopy Tour (Hottentots Holland Nature Reserve, Western Cape): +27 21 3000 501
- Drakensberg Canopy Tour (Blue Grotto Forest, KwaZulu-Natal): +27 83 661 5691
- Karkloof Canopy Tour (Karkloof Forest, KwaZulu-Natal): +27 33 330 3415
- Magaliesberg Canopy Tour (Magaliesberg, North West Province): +27 14 535 0150
- Magoebaskloof Canopy Tour (Magoebaskloof Forest, Limpopo Province): +27 83 866 1546
- Tsitsikamma Canopy Tour (Tsitsikamma Forest, Eastern Cape): +27 42 281 1836
Nothing beats a simple picnic trip. Pack some healthy treats (and one or two more decadent ones) and head out to nature. The fun thing about picnic trips are that they can be enjoyed at any of your local parks and they don’t cost a cent.
For those wanting a more exciting picnic venue, why not try some of our country’s finest spots. Here’s a list of the most popular botanical gardens:
- Kirstenbosch National Botanical Garden (Cape Town, Western Cape): +27 21 799 8783
- Pretoria National Botanical Garden (Pretoria, Gauteng): +27 12 843 5071
- Walter Sisulu National Botanical Garden (Roodepoort, Gauteng) : +27 86 100 1278
- KwaZulu-Natal National Botanical Garden (Prestbury, KwaZulu-Natal) : +27 33 344 3585
- Lowveld National Botanical Garden (Mbombela, Mpumalanga) : +27 13 752 5531
For more awe-inspiring picnic spots, click here.
Before heading out to your favourite holiday destination, ensure that your family’s health needs are taken care of by joining GetSavvi Health.
Our bundled benefits include unlimited GP visits, dentistry, hospital plan, emergency services, funeral cover and more.
Join today by clicking here and entering your details and a GetSavvi Health consultant will be in touch.